Monday, January 02, 2006

NYT: Do as I say; Not as I do

This can be filed under irony and hypocrisy:

Behind the Eavesdropping Story, a Loud Silence by Byron Calame (The NYT Public Editor):

THE New York Times's explanation of its decision to report, after what it said was a one-year delay, that the National Security Agency is eavesdropping domestically without court-approved warrants was woefully inadequate. And I have had unusual difficulty getting a better explanation for readers, despite the paper's repeated pledges of greater transparency.

For the first time since I became public editor, the executive editor and the publisher have declined to respond to my requests for information about news-related decision-making. My queries concerned the timing of the
exclusive Dec. 16 article about President Bush's secret decision in the months after 9/11 to authorize the warrantless eavesdropping on Americans in the United States... (read the whole thing!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home